**Important information for visitors coming to the Leonardo exhibition**
Please note, if visitor numbers are high, we will be admitting people on a timed ticket basis up until one hour before closing. There is no need to pre-book, we will allocate time slots on arrival. Thanks!
The Royal Collection contains one of the world’s greatest collections of drawings by Leonardo da Vinci. This spring, a selection of these exquisite drawings will travel to Derby for a special exhibition marking the 500th anniversary of the Renaissance Master’s death.
Never-before seen in the city, the works have been gathered together to reflect the full range of Leonardo’s interests, from painting, sculpture, architecture, and music, to anatomy, engineering, cartography, geology and botany. As so much of his life’s work was unrealised or destroyed, it is only in these drawings, and a handful of related manuscripts, that Leonardo’s greatest achievements survive.
This exhibition is part of a nationwide event, with simultaneous shows of Leonardo’s drawings at Belfast, Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Glasgow, Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield, Southampton and Sunderland, providing the widest-ever UK audience the opportunity to see the work of this extraordinary artist.
FREE – Give What You Think
As part of this unprecedented nationwide event, we are hosting a programme of events to inspire your creativity and allow you to connect with one of the greatest minds in history.
To see the full line up of our Leonardo events click here.
Leonardo da Vinci: A Life in Drawing (1 February – 6 May 2019) exhibitions will be taking place simultaneously at the following locations:
- Ulster Museum, Belfast
- Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery
- Bristol Museum and Art Gallery
- National Museum Cardiff
- Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, Glasgow
- Leeds Art Gallery
- Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool
- Manchester Art Gallery
- Millennium Gallery, Sheffield
- Southampton City Art Gallery
- Sunderland Museums and Winter Gardens
- The Queen’s Gallery, Buckingham Palace, London (24 May – 13 October 2019) – An exhibition of over 200 drawings
- The Queen’s Gallery, Palace of Holyroodhouse, Edinburgh (22 November – 15 March) – An exhibition of 80 drawings.
For more information, please visit www.royalcollection.org.uk/Leonardo 500.