This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our guests/visitors.
Situated on the banks of the River Derwent, gateway to the Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage Site, The Silk Mill is undergoing a transformation. The ground floor has recently been refurbished and we are working with members of the community to fit out the space. The museum is part of Derby Museums Trust which runs three museums in the city: Derby Museum and Art Gallery, The Silk Mill and Pickford’s House.
At the moment only the ground floor of the Silk Mill is open on a regular basis. Visitor Services Assistants are on hand to offer assistance. From time to time we open the model railway on the first floor to visitors. There is very limited disabled access as we do not have a passenger lift at that end of the building. We look forward to welcoming you.
If you have any queries or require any assistance please phone 01332 641901 or email email@example.com.
Car Parking and Arrival
- The Silk Mill has very limited on-site parking facilities, on Silk Mill Lane.
- A drop off point is available outside the Silk Mill.
- There is outdoor bicycle parking to the left of the main entrance.
- The nearest car park is on Sowter Road, 0.2km from The Silk Mill, which has 50 spaces. Up to 1/2hr £1; up to 1hr £1.50; up to 2hrs £2.50; up to 3hrs £3.50; up to 4hrs £4.50; up to 12hrs £5.
- There are two On Street Dedicated Parking Spaces on Full Street.
- There is a small cobbled area at the entrance of the Silk Mill.
- The main entrance door is automatic and opens to 1703mm/68 inches.
- The main entrance is situated on the ground floor, with step free access throughout. Approximately half way down the building there is a ramp with a handrail in the centre.
- The ground floor is well lit with natural daylight and lighting overhead.
- The Silk Mill does not offer wheelchairs for loan or hire.
- We welcome guide dogs and hearing dogs at the Silk Mill. A drinking bowl is available – please ask a member of staff for assistance.
Attraction (displays, exhibits etc.)
- Seating is available throughout the ground floor of the museum.
- Floor surfaces are mostly asphalt with concrete floors in the workshops.
- The lighting in the galleries is generally bright and evenly lit with fluorescent lights and spots.
- Some of our displays are in acrylic hexpods stands. These are 980mm/38 inches and 1300mm/51 inches high
- Four unisex public toilets are located on the ground floor, one of which is an accessible toilet.
- The accessible toilet is 460mm /18 inches high.
- The transfer space is towards the left hand side and is approximately 708mm/31 inches
- There are four handrails around the toilet, two fixed vertical, one fixed horizontal and one hinged rail that can be moved out of the way.
- Driers and taps are motion activated in all toilets.
- Flooring is linoleum and is a dark grey to contrast with the white walls
- Baby changing facilities are available on the first floor which is not generally open to the public. Please ask a member of staff for assistance.
Shop / Pop Up Cafe
- The retail area is located on the ground floor by the museum entrance.
- It features a range of items including jewelry, souvenirs, books and children’s toys.
- The floor is flat and the shop is accessed through the main automatic door, as described above.
- Low counter is provided.
- Background music or videos with sound may be playing.
- The shop includes some fairly high level shelving, however, staff are available to offer assistance if required.
- Evacuation chairs are available in the event of an emergency.
Address: The Silk Mill, Silk Mill Lane, Off Full Street, Derby DE1 3AF
Telephone: 01332 641901
Grid Reference: 352 365
Hours Of Operation: 3pm – 9pm Thursday 1pm – 5pm Friday and Saturday 11am – 3pm Sunday. For Christmas and New Year opening details please contact us
Local Carers: www.disabilitydirect.com/derby 01332 299449
Local Equipment Hire: www.disabilitydirect.com/derby 01332 299449
Local Accessible Taxi: www.taxiregister.com/derby
Local Public Transport: www.nationalrail.co.uk for train times and information www.derbybus.info for bus timetables and routes