This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our guests/visitors.
Situated in the heart of the city centre, in the Cathedral Quarter, Derby Museum and Art Gallery is home to a fascinating and diverse range of nationally (and internationally) significant collections. The museum is part of Derby Museums Trust which runs three museums in the city: Derby Museum and Art Gallery, The Silk Mill and Pickford’s House. The Museum
and Art Gallery is best known for the Joseph Wright of Derby collection.
The museum is based on three floors with lift access from the ground floor to all levels. An induction loop is available at reception and Visitor Services Assistants are on hand throughout the museum to offer assistance. We are an established member of the Visitor Attraction Quality Assurance Scheme.
We look forward to welcoming you. If you have any queries or require any assistance please phone 01332 641901 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For full details on how to reach us please see the visit section of our website: www.derbymuseums.org or telephone 01332 641901.
- The nearest railway station is Derby, which is 1.2 miles (a 20 minute walk) away. Taxis are available at the station.
- There are frequent and regular bus services into the city centre, operated by Trent Barton and Arriva. The bus station is a 10 minute walk away.
- Taxis are available 100 metres from the museum or can be obtained by staff on request.
- The main road outside the museum has a wide paved path.
Car Parking and Arrival
- Derby Museum and Art Gallery has no on-site parking facilities.
- There are limited parking spaces for Blue Badge holders on the Strand opposite the entrance to the museum.
- The nearest off site car park is Parksafe on Bold Lane, 50 metres from the museum, which has 350 daytime spaces. There is a charge of £4.40 for up to 4 hours. There are 11 clearly marked Blue Badge parking spaces available free of charge.
- A drop off point outside the museum is available if booked in advance.
- All pavements surrounding the entrance are well paved and flat.
- The main entrance door is automatic door and opens to 1550mm/61 inches.
Main Entrance, Reception and Ticketing Area
- The main entrance is situated on the ground floor, with step free, level access throughout.
- There is seating available in the ground floor ceramics gallery.
- The floor is short pile carpet.
- The entrance, reception and shop are well lit with natural daylight and fluorescent lighting overhead.
- There is a hearing loop and a lowered section in the shop reception area.
- A magnifying glass and pad and paper are available from staff on request.
- The museum does not offer wheelchairs for hire.
Attraction (displays, exhibits, rides etc.)
- There are interactive touch screens in the Soldier’s Story gallery which can be accessed from either a standing or sitting position.
- Interpretation boards are in large text in some galleries.
- Most exhibits are held in glass cabinets and some may not be visible if eye line is below 1 metre.
- Seating is available throughout the first floor of the museum.
- Floor surfaces are mostly wood and laminate throughout the museum.
- The lighting in the galleries is generally bright and evenly lit with fluorescent lights and spots, however, some galleries are dimly lit to aid the preservation of exhibits.
- Two unisex public toilets are located on the top floor, which are accessible by a lift from all floors.
- An accessible toilet is available on the first floor which is accessible by a lift from all floors.
- The door is opened with a touch pad, and is 810mm/32 inches wide.
- The toilet is 460mm/18 inches high.
- The transfer space is towards the right hand side and is approximately 910mm/36 inches.
- There are three handrails behind the toilet, two vertical and one horizontal.
- Toilet flushes, hand driers and taps are motion activated in all toilets.
- Flooring is non-slip tiles and of a cream colour to contrast with the black wall tiles.
- Emergency pull cord in accessible toilet, which has a flashing and audible alarm.
- The shop is located on the ground floor in the museum entrance.
- It features a range of items including jewellery, souvenirs, books and children’s toys.
- The carpet is flat and short piled and the shop is accessed through the main automatic door, as described above.
- A low counter is provided.
- A hearing loop is provided with trained staff if required.
- Background music may be playing.
- Shop includes some high level shelving, however, staff are available to offer assistance if required.
- Our Coffee House is located on the ground floor of the museum and has level access throughout.
- It is self-service, however our staff can assist if needed
- Tables in the café are well spaced apart, with a clear height from the floor of 720mm/28ins, with upright chairs
- Lighting in all areas is natural daylight with overhead lighting used
- The floor is light grey polyfloor
- The entrance doors to the café is 1200mm/47” wide
- Where possible all our food produce is locally sourced. We do our best to cater for any dietary requirements; please contact us in advance to check any specific requests you may have.
- We have a set of evacuation procedures- should you require it someone will assist you with evacuation, either out of the building or to a refuge point.
- Evacuation chairs are available in the event of an emergency.
- All our information brochures and evacuation procedures can be made available in large print.
Address: Derby Museum and Art Gallery The Strand Derby DE1 1BS
Telephone: 01332 641901
Grid Reference: 351 364
Hours Of Operation: 10am-5pm Tuesday to Sunday. For Christmas and New Year opening times, please contact us.
Local Carers: www.disabilitydirect.com/derby 01332 299449
Local Equipment Hire: www.disabilitydirect.com/derby 01332 299449
Local Accessible Taxi: www.taxiregister.com/derby
Local Public Transport: www.nationalrail.co.uk for train times and information www.derbybus.info for bus timetables and routes